Featured Post

Your Life Is a Poem

In the new episode of ON BEING, " Your Life Is a Poem ," poet Naomi Shihab Nye talks about growing up in Ferguson, Missouri and o...

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Some Anti-Love Poems for Valentine's Day


In case today is not the Valentine's Day of movies and songs, here are some "Anti-Love Poems" about breakups, heartache, and unrequited love. The Poetry Foundation describes these as more �Screw Cupid� than �Be Mine.�

A few samples:

The Glass Essay� by Anne Carson

In the days and months after Law left
I felt as if the sky was torn off my life.
   
The Flurry� by Sharon Olds

I mutter, �I feel like a killer.� �I�mthe killer��taking my wrist�he says,
holding it. 

Cuckoldom� by B.J. Ward

if you look
for alimony,
it follows
acrimony

Semele Recycled� by Carolyn Kizer

After you left me forever,
I was broken into pieces,
and all the pieces flung into the river.

The Breather� by Billy Collins

All that sweetness, the love and desire�
it�s just been me dialing myself
then following the ringing to another room

Time Does Not Bring Relief: You All Have Lied� by Edna St. Vincent Millay

There are a hundred places where I fear
To go,�so with his memory they brim. 

Sonnet [You jerk you didn�t call me up]� by Bernadette Mayer

I�m through with you bourgeois boys
All you ever do is go back to ancestral comforts


No comments:

Post a Comment